Take Back Your Time is bringing together individuals and organizations in support of the following "Time To Care" public policy agenda.
We believe these broad policy ideas -- all taken for granted in other countries -- really speak to the needs for time poverty relief that millions of Americans share. They are not political bills -- we encourage legislators to take these ideas and design specific legislation around them -- but they are ideas for action, a comprehensive program to win more free time for Americans.
TIME TO CARE AGENDA:
- Guaranteeing paid leave for all parents for the birth or adoption of a child. Today, only 40% of Americans are able to take advantage of the 12 weeks of unpaid leave provided by the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993.
- Guaranteeing at least one week of paid sick leave for all workers. Many Americans work while sick, lowering productivity and endangering other workers.
- Guaranteeing at least three weeks of paid annual vacation leave for all workers. Studies show that 28% of all female employees and 37% of women earning less than $40,000 a year receive no paid vacation at all.
- Placing a limit on the amount of compulsory overtime work that an employer can impose, with our goal being to give employees the right to accept or refuse overtime work.
- Making Election Day a holiday, with the understanding that Americans need time for civic and political participation.
- Making it easier for Americans to choose part-time work. Hourly wage parity and protection of promotions and pro-rated benefits for part-time workers.
Let's bring the United States up to the standards already in place in all other industrial countries, thereby creating more jobs and improving our health, families, community and civic life and environment. We call upon elected officials and candidates of all political parties to support this free time agenda.